Thursday, May 3, 2012

Finding time to write...

My grand plan recently has been to stop thinking (and consequently worrying) about what is happening in the publishing world because a) I can't control or change whatever is happening, b) its irrelevant if I'm not writing, and c) it is beginning to give me a headache, and I have decided to focus on my writing. A very sensible option when you call yourself a writer. Of course that whole 'man plans, God laughs' epithet then comes in to play. I keep thinking next week (pick a week, any week). Next week I will have all this free time and empty hours not earmarked for events, family commitments, housework, research for my research paper, filing company tax returns etc.. and I can just hunker down over my lovely little lap top and go hell for leather, head down, bum up, and finish this sequel I have been wanting to rewrite since Adam was a boy. God is indeed laughing at my expense - in fact laughing so hard there are tears in his/her eyes. Things just keep cropping up. Things I wasn't expecting. Good things that tie in to my writing. Things that teach me new skills and/or help promote my name/brand. Things I like to do or know I should do. And look, there they go, those lovely empty hours, winging away like dreams or birds.And I sit here contemplating the reality that 'life is what happens when you're making other plans.' Of course my urge to write is even greater having had an epiphany (yet again in my favourite thinking place under a stream of hot water in the shower) about my rewrite. Holey moley it will be good if only I could get it down on paper the way it looks and feels inside my head. So maybe this waiting has had a benefit in allowing me to have this revelation about improving the plot-line. Okay so maybe its better things go this way. Then again, will there be a point at which I should start saying 'no'? And how will I know when I've reached this point? Or will somebody just kindly supply some extra hours in the day and a wee energy boost to get me through them...

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Know how you feel...I start each day thinking I'll just get through all these chores then I'll hunker down...and lo and behold some crisis shows up...today it's another funeral so that shoots my afternoon down. The morning was spent cramming in the stuff I would have spread through out the day...Must run to the wardrobe and scream...before leaving the house with a 'smile'
xx

Fifi Colston said...

I know what you are saying gals...even when the kids grow up and leave, some other thing eats up your time. And yes, the hungrier you get to do the project, the sweeter the time when you can sit down and block out the other stuff. I get accused sometimes by my family for being unavailable. I then remind them just how much I am there for them, and that they need to respect this alone time I need to finish the work. Even the cat scratches at my door!

Old Kitty said...

I love these light bulb moments - especially when they turn on at the most unlikeliest of places! I got mine once while staring frustrated at my cancelled train home on the train board at liverpool st station. It was just sudden - like - quick - where's my pc!?!? Before I forget! LOL!

Yes - let the publishing world deal with itself and you just get on writing your great stories! Take care
x