Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tomorrow is uncertain...embrace today

Mother Earth tried to crush the beautiful New Zealand city of Christchurch in her devastating embrace on Tuesday. A shallow 6.3 earthquake broke Christchurch at 12.51pm and it is heartbreaking now to watch the ensuing tragedy unfold. The city lies in ruins and many innocent folk have lost their lives. It is hard to know what to do or say. Facebook has been a godsend in providing information on the safety of friends. I have been trying to donate to the Red Cross (www.redcross.org.nz/donations ) and suspect that I cannot get through to do so because there are so many other people trying to do the same which is a good thing. People want to help. I am wandering around thinking 'what can I do'? My heart feels heavy all the time. There is no rhyme or reason to this, just 'what is' and at times like this I am conscious of how small and insignificant humans are in the grand scheme of things. I have joined the NZSA's fundraising effort and will read from my books at one of the Auckland Libraries on 25th March. And I am going to embrace my SO and my kids and my life and enjoy the good things that I have because tomorrow is uncertain.

1 comment:

Old Kitty said...

This was so awful, truly. My thoughts and prayers to all of NZ. Take care
x