Saturday, January 24, 2009

Nothing's ever wasted...

31 January is the closing date for submissions to the annual Random childrens anthology. I have been wracking my brains trying to find a fresh angle on this years topic 'Friends'. There is not alot of unmined territory left on this theme - it has been sucked dry. I have written three short stories in the last week (including one fun twist on a fairytale that I rather like) with the purpose of having something to submit. They're okay as short stories go but none of them fit the bill. Of course nothing is wasted but I am not achieving my particular purpose. But i am getting back in the daily writing habit which is extremely good and more than a little exciting. Only one week left before the school's can no longer avoid taking my children back. I only have stationery and school shoes to buy. I hear lava lamp ruler's are good (don't tell the kids). I may have to go pillage old stories to find something to submit. See! - nothing's wasted. Three, five, ten years ago that story had nowhere to go but the filing cabinet, but maybe now its time has come. A little creative editing and voila. I am determined to send something away. Maybe I'll send everything. You never know...

And BTW I have enrolled for the university course I was considering. Just one paper to keep me out of mischief and make me smarter. Bring on the assignments - I'm ready

No comments: