Sunday, September 29, 2013

Rules for behaving...

I have a number of unwritten rules that I observe as I go about my writerly business. The all come under my mantra umbrella of being 'polite and professional'. Sometimes I would benefit from being a little less polite and professional but 99 times out of ten this approach has worked for me.

Here are some of the (no longer) unwritten rules:-

1) I don't review things I haven't read - although I may make a comment if I've tried to read something but stopped because of the content. 

2) I don't rate or review my own books (although I may refer to someone else's review or a straight description). How could I be even remotely objective and in view of this, how might readers perceive such reviews? 

3) I can get very emotional about stuff. Being in touch with feelings is a useful quality for a writer. But in the end I always try and make a rational rather than an emotional decision. Do NOT shoot first and ask questions later. Regret is not a fun companion. 

4) I always reserve the right to change my mind and I try to fess up if I was wrong.

5) Honesty is a good policy.

6) I despair about the fakery, witch-hunting, name calling, stalking, hate-filled behaviour that has been on the rise in the online book world.  Wtf. Why do people do this stuff???  

7) Know when to say nothing. Sometimes silence is the right response. Sometimes silence is eloquent and speaks volumes.

7) Be yourself - being someone else can be much harder to pull off. 

8) Don't get stuck on past problems or mistakes - learn from them, apologise if necessary, and move on

9) Be nice. Most folk respond well to good treatment.


Feel free to add your own rules in the comments. In view of my number 6 above - here is a link to 5 tips for writers using social media from Nicola Morgan.


2 comments:

Old Kitty said...

I'm probably off kilter here and totally showing my age and please don't hate me - but sometimes I do miss the days when I read purely for the sake of reading. Ahem. Sorry. But these days... I know starred reviews are helpful in this new fangled online reading thing (helps the book to be more visible or something) but still...

And those who now read feel the need to splurge reviews left right and centre online.

I do miss the silence...

Take care
x

Jane Bloomfield: truth is stranger than fiction said...

This is more for the writer in general and it's a hard one: be patient.