Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Where would we be without teachers and librarians...?

The book experience is a collaborative process between writer and reader, artist if the book has illustrations, and teachers and librarians if the book is for children. Without teachers and librarians sharing their passion for books, fewer children would embrace them. Studies show that the more books there are available in a house, the longer children stay at school thereby setting themselves up for better long term life outcomes. Books will make a tangible difference in a child's life. I often talk with children about what books can do for you. Its not just about information and learning, although if you can read you can teach yourself just about anything by reading a book. Its also about pleasure and relaxation. It's also a chance to expand your horizons and understand more about the world and the people in it. I can't go back in time but I can read about the past in a book. I can read speculations about the future. I can travel all over the world and get a peek into how other people live their lives or solve their problems. I can travel to other worlds and understand more about myself in the process. Books make me more empathetic and can challenge me. How fantastic is that?? And if I am invited to schools you can be sure that a teacher and/or librarian is behind it, keen to get their students reading and writing, keen to help them dive into this marvelous world of words. They always make me feel welcome and special. If your school has teachers and librarians who love books with a burning passion you are lucky. If your school has teachers and librarians who organise author and illustrator visits you are very lucky.

No comments: