Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Books deserve more...

One of the reasons I have been slaving over the Diploma of Children's Literature is to give me a greater understanding of the heart beating inside children's books. Should I get the chance to review books in future I want to be able to give potential readers guidance in choosing good books (and other kinds of books if they so choose). I want to give readers a taste of what's inside without giving anything away. I want them to feel a twinge of excitement about where reading the book might take them. I want to perhaps give them a key to getting more out of their reading experience without taking away from that experience. Its a big ask. Reviewing is a responsibilty I would not take lightly. Thats why I am learning what I can about approaching books with an objective eye, a reader's eye, rather than the writer's eye I am so familiar with right now. I like to keep informed about the books that are coming out. I discuss new books with other people. I read them. I read what others have said about them. I try and respect the time and effort that has gone into every book whether I like it or not. Its not enough to say I like it or I don't like it. Books deserve more.

Here are some rules I keep in mind when writing. None of them are about the use of commas or adjectives or dialogue. They are rules that over the years, I have realised, keep my writing going in the right direction. You might be surprised.

1. Keep it simple
2. Less is more
3. Trust your intuition
4. Have faith the right solution will come
5. The more you give the more you receive
6. Friends are the greatest wealth
7. You can never read too many books

1 comment:

Pen said...

Lots simple gems of wisdom. It's so easy to try to make things harder than they need to be.