Sunday, April 5, 2009

I'm just a word nerd...

Been studying today. I am so out of the habit that I am having to relearn how to be a student as if I'd never done it before (and having spent YEARS as a student I can only laugh at my greenness). That'll teach me :) In one of those spooky coincidences (cue twilight zone theme tune) today I've been reading about the definition of picture book (versus picture story book and illustrated book) and checking in with the latest post at the editorial anonymous blog an hour ago, the blogger is discussing this very issue, although her take on the topic is somewhat less academic and more practical than the one I am wading through. Academic definitions can give us insights but won't make the publisher pick your manuscript.

I am also still trying to get my head around everything that has been happening to my picture book The Were-Nana. Its like a dream and is perhaps best kept that way. The Were-Nana has now gone to reprint. Yowza. I will be sorry when this train stops and the conductor boots me off (I did buy a ticket - really). I'm trying not to look at the desert flashing past the windows. And reprint is a magic miracle word that I'm trying not to get over fond of. I would like to be its best friend but its the most popular word on the block and I'm just a word nerd. I think I have a crush. Please don't tell.

4 comments:

Fifi Colston said...

REPRINT!!!!!YAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!
All a good book needs is a bit of advertising and you're away. Hard to let the public know its there unless someone points to it. Thank God for the book awards (because publishers aren't marketers) congrats Melinda and I am really looking forward to making a Were craft on the Good Morning Show and extolling your book!

Katy said...

Wow, that's wonderful news! Congratulations! :-)

I know what you mean about studying though. I'm pondering whether to take a course later this year, but right now the whole thought of assignments and deadlines is giving me the raging heebie jeebies... Good luck with your studies

Kim Ward said...

Melinda Szymanik! How are you? Just had the Word from the Voice regarding the 150th Jubilee of MCP and saw your picture there. Yours is now the second blog I have visited. Ever. On the computer all day, but don't have time to investigate a lot of the thrills of the net...I am going to get your books, I have a 9 year old son so hopefully they will suit his age(?) He has come to us via CYFS and has been with us for the past two and a half years. He's such a cool kid, who fell through the cracks a lot at his earlier schools so reading and writing aren't really his bag. If I tell him I know the author and can show him your picture from school, I think he will be cool with that! Hope to see you at the Jubilee. Kindest regards, Kim Allison PS Hope this forum is OK to write this!

Melinda Szymanik said...

Hey Fifi and Katy, thank you! And Katy, study is good until it comes to assignment time and then I think I've made the biggest mistake. But once I've handed it in I go back to enjoying myself. Hate the stress, love the learning.
And its excellent to hear from you Kim. Frustratingly the Mangere Primary jubilee is on the same weekend as a conference I've been planning to go to in Wellington. It would be wonderful to catch up with everybody. maybe we can get together after the jubilee?
BTW Jack the Viking is aimed at 9 yrs and up - I hope your son enjoys it.

cheers
Melinda