Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Shiny new things...

A big package arrived in the post for me today. Sadly not a suitcase full of money which i regularly wish for on fallen eyelashes. Nope, today i got my first posting from the University of Canterbury for the Image and Narrative paper I am taking towards a Diploma in Children's literature. I felt smarter straightaway and then I opened the package. Memories of my extramural Bachelor of arts degree (in English) came flooding back. Assignment cover sheets, barcoded stickers and instruction sheets along with the shiny fat study guides all crisp and inviting. On the second page was my very first assignment. I am excited and nervous - what have i done? I will keep you posted on whether it was a good idea or not.

In an even more exciting development, my picture book, The Were-Nana, is to be read on Radio NZ's storytime this Sunday (Feb 15) morning. This has never happened to any of my stories before (although my article on cheerleading was put on CD by Learning Media and the anthology Dare and Double Dare including my story Rush has been recorded for the blind). In a surprising twist I only learnt about it third hand, via a friend who heard it from another friend who heard it mentioned on the radio whilst in her car. I would have thought there might be some official notification. Thank you Jill and Stina. Even google hasn't alerted me on this one even though there it is mentioned on the National radio website. I am fascinated by the prospect of someone other than me reading my story aloud (although I know schoolteachers and librarians are already doing it but this seems to take it one step further). I am full of happy and excited thoughts at the prospect and feel a bit honoured that it is happening to a story of mine.

3 comments:

Maureen Crisp said...

HI
I was just going to post and Say I heard it mentioned on the Storytime Teaser on National radio an hour ago(after I finished writing my own blog post...) And you are already on to it. Well Done Melinda....It would be nice if they alerted the authors...you are not the first that has happened to.
Maureen

Melinda Szymanik said...

Heh - I think I was busy posting a comment on your blog while you were doing the same on mine :)

Fifi Colston said...

Fabulous! Great promo for the book (which is great!)You are supposed to get some sort of broadcast rights for that- about $50 I think or some piffling amount- ask Scholastic. May as well be in your pocket as theirs... (vino money)