Thursday, November 6, 2008

Writer's Zen and the art of being rejected...part 2

Maureen Crisp suggests the zen art of rejection calm is the mark of a professional writer. Its a very strange profession we work in - maybe that accounts for the zen! There is a lot about the business of writing and publishing that is unique. The rules are that the rules don't always apply, and cannot be applied uniformly across all authors. But interestingly, despite all the frustrations, I am content to call this odd profession and the difficult industry attached to it, mine. As US literary agent Janet Reid says here - http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/ - 'Publishing isn't perfect. It's a small, insular, power imbalanced industry. I still love it.'

And oh my god Fifi - what do you mean 'plan' for my launch? I don't have a plan. Do I need a plan? What does a plan include? I've invited a horde of ten year old boys and I thought I'd feed 'em up on some greasy savouries and sugary foods and then let them loose in the toy/book shop. It seemed like a winner of an idea to me. I've press-ganged a few folk into making sure I don't sit there alone and I've noted the phone number of the Dominos Pizza place which is just a few doors down from the venue. And there is wine. This is as far as my broken brain will get me. Are there other things I should include?

Remember folk - BOOK LAUNCH FOR THE WERE-NANA AND JACK THE VIKING, SATURDAY 8th NOVEMBER, MAINLY TOYS, 539 MT EDEN ROAD, 4PM

3 comments:

carpe diem said...

Hi Melinda. I've just read Jack the Viking and I loved it. It think it was great that Jack didn't actually go to Norway but he was just in a comma. I can't wait to read Magnetic North and will be pestering mum for when it comes out. Luke — Year 7, Christchurch.

Melinda Szymanik said...

Wow Luke - I am so very pleased you liked Jack the Viking. It is the best news a writer can get - you made my day :)

cheers
Melinda

THE WCBA said...

I hear the book launch went really well! Excellent stuff. Congrats to you and Jack and Were Nana! xxx