Sunday, June 8, 2008

Public speaking

I have been at this writing thing for around 9 or 10 years and you would think i'd be used to the slow pace of everything by now, but I'm not. I find it hard to keep my head together some days wondering when i'm going to hear about stuff. i know i should be working on my next project and its not like i'm stuck on it or anything. I know where i'm going with it and all. But as with all my writing its still a big time investment that may never pay off. I'd love to have my current project contracted before its finished.

It doesn't help that i am giving a talk tonight to other writers on ten important things about writing. I feel pretty happy with the content of my talk but i enjoy public speaking like i enjoy my annual check up at the dentist. I know i need to get out of my comfort zone and practice these things. The more i practice this whole public speaking, public appearance thing , hopefully the better i will get at it and more importantly, the more comfortable i will feel doing it. I would love to do more of this, if it just didn't scare the bejesus out of me quite so much.

And of course the other aspect to all this, is that everything i read points to the ability to self-promote as an essential tool in the toolbox of any writer. As much as i believe in my own writing self-promotion is a tricky prospect. Perhaps its part of our kiwi psyche of not trumpeting our own successes, but in this country if you don't trumpet your own success in writing there aren't many other people who will. So i have to do everything i can to learn the best ways to self-promote and then suck it up and go out and do it. I was too cheap to buy any rescue remedy today and there's not going to be any alcohol at this event so i'm just keeping my fingers crossed. Wish me luck

No comments: