Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Procrastination is the evil twin of motivation...

So Nicola Morgan threw a fab 1st birthday party for her blog and she really knows how to throw a party. I always meet the most amazing people at her place . Go check out the blogs of these folk, SF, Lorelei Armstrong, Debs and Karen Jones Gowan. Writers have always sought out the company of other writers (William Wordsworth, Coleridge, Keats and Leigh Hunt, Justine Larbalestier, Scott Westerfield, Libba Bray and Maureen Johnson to name but a few) and I just love that I can communicate with writers all over the world as well as the ones in my own country and home town. Even while I'm meeting new writers in other countries (check out this quote on Lorelei's blog) I'm also talking to one in Dunedin (check out this post by Libba Bray brought to my attention by TK Roxborogh). Of course this is what I'm actually doing when I should be fixing my current manuscript. There is no official deadline but a publisher has said they will read it when its done so there is sufficient motivation (of which procrastination is the evil twin - mwahahaha). I've checked facebook a couple of times and got up to-date with a few of my favourite blogs. I played several rounds of 3 card draw computer solitaire at which I am embarrassingly fast (pb 39 seconds) and did the disturbing task of accompanying my eldest as she gave out CV's in the search for a part time job at the local shopping mall (disturbing only because its another unquestionable sign she is growing up and away despite her protestations she is never leaving home). I had another look at my grade for the university paper I did last year and yay - it is beautiful and IT HASN'T CHANGED - and I enrolled for another paper this year (although over $1200 for one paper just about made me have apoplexy: I am applying for a distance learning rebate post haste). And finally because damn-it, no publishers are beating down my door yet this year, either via e-mail or post, and I have to rest my leg cos I pulled a muscle JOGGING ON THE SPOT (sad and pathetic huh?) I have finally started the edit. This will be the final fix up before I have it read by a trusted pawn from my cabal of supporters of my plan for world domination. Then it will be off to the publisher. Stories are NEVER finished but as Libba Bray says, (to paraphrase) they just become someone we used to be close to, but now we've moved on.

2 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Hi

I'm slowly visiting all the fab blogs who were at Nicola Morgan's blog party so here I am!

I loved this piece - it's so true. Procrastination is like chocolate. Oh it's so bad for you but easier to digest and much yummier than good ol brussel sprouts.

good luck with your editing.

Take care
x

Melinda Szymanik said...

Hello Kitty - excellent to have you visit

I actually believe procrastination has an important part to play in the whole writing/creating thing - just like chocolate :)