Monday, February 20, 2012

You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling...


I am tired of all the prognosticating about publishing that seems to be filling up the intramaweb these days. I have been trying to distract myself with other things but it doesn't help that one of those other things is book award season here in New Zealand. Sometimes I get a bit headachy from jumping up and down to get people's attention: publishers, reviewers, readers. And the trouble with jumping is that you are only in their view for seconds before you are heading back down again and trying to get ready to jump just as high if not higher the next time. Jumping can be jolly tiring. But if I stop jumping will that group that finally noticed me and who are looking for me at my next jump going to stop waiting and turn their attention elsewhere? It is coming up to announcements for the finalists in the NZ Post Children's Book Awards and I have been feeling nervous, hopeful and downright sick about the whole thing. There are too many wonderful books out there and I don't fancy my chances. Don't worry, people say, there are plenty of great books which miss out. Missing out is not the end of the world. Its not an indictment against your book. Others might look at me and think its a bit arrogant to think my books are good enough. I think its healthy to hope they are good enough.

Awards nominations put a spring in your step that give a bit of height to your jumps and, well folks, as Eames says in Inception, "You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling..." I guess there's always next year :)

No comments: