Wednesday, November 24, 2010

too sad...

I never thought a message from the Queen would have the power to make me cry, but her message of condolence to NZ on the Pike River tragedy this morning was heartbreaking. I think the whole of NZ had been holding its breath since the first explosion in the mine last friday, hoping that there would be some miraculous positive resolution as there had been in Chile, but it wasn't to be. We all followed the story so closely and hung on news of any progress or change and then yesterday afternoon came the news that no one wanted. A second explosion turned it all into an unmitigated nightmare. It's hard not to be affected. I didn't know any of the 29 miners lost, or their families, but I feel so very sad for them. I hope they feel the love, support and sympathy from everyone around this country. I know what the loss of one of my family members would do to me.

3 comments:

Sharde(Shar-day) said...

I don't know them either,but my heart goes out to them. The thing about sympathy and prayers is that they can be felt and given from anywhere. And I give mine from the U.S.

Sharde

Old Kitty said...

My prayers and thoughts are with the families and loved ones of the bereaved. This is truly tragic and horrible.

Take care
x

Drifter said...

Such an awful thing to happen. Like Sharde and Old Kitty, my heart goes out to all those who have lost someone in this dreadful way. I can't begin to imagine the hell they must be going through.