Sunday, September 6, 2009

You are being watched...

I am having one of those days where the bread keeps insisting on falling butter side down on the carpet. I am doing my best to not get caught up in the possible downward spiral of this kind of event but it keeps happening. As much as I am tempted I am not going back to bed to wait out the day but instead am soldiering on in the hope that this will pass.

Anyway - I digress :)

I checked in at Janet Reid's blog today and several of her recent posts caught my eye and poked at the old grey matter. The first was a link to an article on confidence by Toni McGee Causey which was an inspiring read. Confidence is not something that magically comes along when you have earned it. Its something you must try on and practice, so you will have it when you need it. I don't know if I agreed with everything in Ms McGee Causey's article but I love the key message. There is no person on this earth who does not deserve to have confidence. And some well placed confidence can work wonders.

The other post was this one . I found this one a wee bit worrying. If you are a writer with a presence somewhere on the internet, whether via facebook, twitter, a website or blog, or through some other forum, or you have ever commented on someone else's facebook, twitter, a website, blog or some other forum, give a thought to who is checking you out and what they might be thinking. These days prospective agents and publishers can look you up on line. Do they like what they see? Will it affect their decisions regarding us? Like all our writing, we must always be conscious of our audience and adjust our content accordingly. As Nicola Morgan wrote on her blog recently (her old one, not her new one) being nice is always the best policy. But everyone has bad days, and crazy ones as well. And rotten grammar days too. And what amuses one reader might offend another. I almost wish I hadn't read this particular post. Its tying my brain in knots. Update - of course there may be nothing to worry about - heh.

No comments: