Sunday, April 5, 2020

A manuscript assessment competition for picture book writers ...

I've started this post several times and abandoned all the different iterations. None feel right for the current zeitgeist and if you folk are feeling anything like I am, being creative right now is a bit of a struggle. I should be revising something I finished a while back but I can't bring myself to open the document, and although I have been puttering along with a new picture book idea (which feels exciting), it is super slow progress. Usually by now I would have had it done and through several revisions. These are strange times.

It's hard to feel creative when we are all in a kind of limbo. My creative space is full of other people, their noises and interactions. There are worries, and I can't help but wonder how the world in general, and the publishing landscape in particular, might look when lockdown rules are finally relaxed. We can't know until we get there. Limbo.

So, anyways, I thought, like those 'pick a path' books we used to love, I'd ask you, dear reader, what sorts of things you might like me to talk about. Should I discuss...

1) How to develop a distinct picture book voice?
2) The good language techniques you should use (and the bad ones you shouldn't use) in picture books?
3) Survival techniques for the zombie apocalypse a.k.a. keeping your chin up while you still have one
4) or a topic of your choosing ...

And also I am running a competition. I will provide one free picture book manuscript assessment (usually $125) to the person who correctly guesses which is my favourite Harry Potter movie. Two entries only per person. All guesses in the comments here, on facebook or twitter will be accepted. This competition closes at 5pm on Easter Monday. All correct guesses will go into the hat and the winner will be picked by a random family member currently in lockdown with me. If no one guesses correctly, I will ask a new question. If no one enters I will cry myself to sleep after eating all the easter eggs :-)

9 comments:

suzanne said...

Definitely do a post on how to survive the zombie apocalypse. Good relevant information for our present condition.

Favourite Harry Potter movie: The first one, of course. The introduction of everything, "You're a wizard, Harry, Diagon Alley, Hogworts, the sorting hat...

AuntieBettyIllustration said...

Please discuss good language techniques which should be used in picture books. I find it hard to find the balance between encouraging vocabulary extension and pitching the language too high for the targeted age group. All tips very welcome, please.

With regards to guessing your favourite Harry Potter book, is it 'The Philosopher's Stone' or 'The Half-Blood Prince'?

Mel said...

I like the sound of good language techniques :)

Maybe your favourite is The Prisoner of Azkaban - time travel, Buckbeak and meeting Harry's Godfather. Or maybe Goblet of Fire because we get to see Harry competing in the tri wizard tournament.

Kiwikiwi said...

Fun y. My daughter and I have been exploring Choose Your own Adventure stoties. I even found a great website ap 'Twine' to help build your own which I introduced to one of my classes recently....as to Favourite book in series...the first one? Full of promise, intrigue, adventure and possibilities!

Diane Tulloch said...

I would love for you to chat about distinct voice.

As for guessing your favourite Harry Potter book. Hmm... The Prisoner of Azkaban or Goblet of Fire.

Catch you on the otherside of Covid.

Monique Wiles said...

Hi Melinda,
Distinct voice in picture books please...
Love your blogs. They are a breath of fresh air and always come at the right time.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince or
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Keep on keeping on, you've got this.��

AB said...

Here goes...
Prisoner of Azkaban
or Goblet of Fire

Anyhoo these are my favourites !

Also my vote is distinct PB voice
thanks :)

Janine said...

Hi Melinda, good language techniques please!
My first guess is that the first Harry Potter book is your favourite

Janine said...

Alternatively, how to develop a good picture book voice.
And my second guess is The Prisoner of Azkaban