Book sales were perky last year, both here in New Zealand, and round the world. This good news is a sweet note to be starting the year on. And children's and young adults books are doing particularly well. Yeehah! This makes me keen for writing.
In contrast to last year I have few fixed events in 2015. In fact I currently have only one speaking engagement booked in. Last year was jam packed and super exciting, but I have to say I feel just as excited about this somewhat quieter year. And there are a few tasty carrots dangling in the distance. My SO and I are having a bit of a trip away later in the year. Far away. To new places. Very exciting. And then I will come home just in time for the Bi-annual Children's Writers and Illustrators Conference. This year the Conference will be in Wellington over the first weekend of October. A conference like this is gold: for networking, for sharing information, tips, and issues, for exploring the new and catching up with old friends. I'll post further details as they come to hand.
I still have some older projects that I want to work on, and one or two new ones to get started with. I also need to get back in to a more regular blogging habit. I want to do lots of reading and take in art, theatre and movies.
So ... the plan for the year is to
1) Complete at least two long projects (novels) - either new or existing
2) Attend the conference
3) Read 46 books (already declared as my Goodreads challenge) and write a review of each one
4) Write at least one new picture book manuscript
5)Create a publishing plan for every completed manuscript (existing and new) which notes the publishing avenues I will pursue for each.
6) Put those plans in to action for each manuscript
7) Blog at least once a week
8) Contribute as much as possible to the task of creating a New Zealand Children's Laureate
9) Do that thing I've forgotten that I also want to do
10) Do some other really cool stuff
Putting these things in print is a good way of guilting me in to action on them. So what about you guys? What are you stepping up to the plate to do this year ...?
Educational Resource: A Winter's Day in 1939
- Educational Resource: The Were-Nana
- Educational Resource: The Half Life of Ryan Davis
- Educational Resource: Made With Love
- Educational Resource: The House That Went to Sea
- Educational Resource: A Winter's Day in 1939
- Educational Resource: While You Are Sleeping
- Educational Resource: The Song of Kauri
- Educational Resource: Fuzzy Doodle
- Book List - Complete List of my Publications