Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I have set you some homework

I am winging my way south by plane tomorrow. Christchurch, I hope you are ready for me and my mint green penguin onesie. I will be visiting Selwyn House School on Thursday and St Andrews College Prep on Friday morning and then the Golden Yarns Conference begins on Friday afternoon. It's a little dizzying to think I will be talking nothing but children's books all weekend long. And with people who never get tired of the topic!!

So while I'm away I have assigned you some reading. Go check out this very fine blog post on how the idea of Survivorship Bias relates to writing advice. This fits with a lot of my own philosophies - people we need to be keeping an eye on the bigger picture. And like Tobias Buckell (excellent name btw) I have always subscribed to the idea of the long game.

And for extra credit you could go on to a response to Mr Buckell from Chuck Wendig and the original article on Survivorship Bias which inspired Mr Buckell to write his post. This original article especially is way cool and just made me even more interested in the World Wars of the 20th century. I am developing an obsession healthy interest in these. I suspect it may influence my writing for a while, but maybe not in the traditional sense.

No comments: