Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dan's shirt just wasn't wet enough....

This is a classic case of avoidance behaviour. I should be doing my next assignment (there's no escaping them at the moment - they are lined up back to back like a queue for the latest ride at Disney World). And I am trying not to think about all of my submissions because things seem to be getting complicated. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of how things work they go and bend it like Beckham and I have to go do some goalie up-skilling. Ack...So here I am mooning over the latest BBC production of Sense and Sensibility instead (okay, it's not that new but its only just gone into the dollar for 7 days on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the local dvd rental store and I was too miserly to get it out beforehand and folks it was worth the wait). Oh all those zipped up emotions and stifling manners and the dos and donts of genteel society. In those days folks, blushing was an art form. And the lovely Edward Farrars and the uncomplaining Elinor Dashwood, how could anyone hold it all in like that, I bet she was horribly constipated. And Willoughby was really just todays Robbie Williams and no one blinks too much over men like that anymore and take that why don't you Jane Austen. Actually I love Jane Austen most of all and I am praying someone discovers a secret hidden unpublished manuscript of hers which I would love much much more than a fourth Steig Larsson novel. After all that being careful with my money so I only had to pay a dollar I may now have to go out and buy the DVD outright so I can re-watch it multiple times at my leisure, especially the good bits. Sigh.

And I can't believe that all that superstitious stuff I went on about last post is purely a NZ phenomenon. I would have thought we were potentially the least superstitious so some of you just aren't owning up.

I'm off to critique The Wolves in the Walls and talk about sexism and its cultural function in fairytales.

2 comments:

Imogen said...

Certainly superstitious! I identify completely with your remark about keeping certain things close to your chest in order not to "spook" them. There is a sort of pecking order to these things, for me; some things I can tell friends but no-one else, somethings I can blog about provided I don't say anything specific, somethings have to remain ABSOLUTELY private until they are fulfilled (or otherwise)...
Isn't David Morrissey a lovely Colonel Brandon? - hard to believe this is the same guy who was such a terrifying Bradley Headstone in "Our Mutual Friend" a decade or so ago...

Drifter said...

Hi Melinda - nothing to do with this post, but I wanted to check you received my e-mail. I really want to send you something in return for the books, please let me know if there's anything you'd like? Well, apart from a good looking young chap in a wet shirt. Might be a bit expensive to send via e-mail?